This page has more information on what to do in case you find yourself AFK due to sickness. We hope you feel better soon, and are wishing you a speedy recovery!
What happens if I’m out sick?
- Tell your fellow team members, and any other core contributors you’re currently working with.
- Cancel any meetings in your calendar, hand over any in-progress work if possible to another team member.
- Add your time off in BambooHR in the `Time Off` tab, using the time off type `Sick leave`.
- Mark your AFK on your team’s shared calendar (if you have one)
- Update your Slack status to `Out sick` so that people know you’ll be unavailable.
- [If you’re taking more than 3 consecutive days off] - ping People Ops . If you’re employed by one of the entities, we might need a doctor’s note to be able to pay your correctly.
How does sick leave and pay work?
As a general rule, short term sick leave is fully paid up until six weeks. Employees will receive full pay via payroll, and monthly/annual rate contractors should bill us for their monthly amounts as usual (as their contracts are based on output [services provided] not input [hours/days worked]). There is no paid sick leave for hourly rate contractors (who bill us based on hours worked).
Any arrangement beyond that should be made in collaboration with People Ops. There are many factors that are variable, such as the jurisdiction’s laws on sick leave, and the nature of the sickness itself, so we will need to discuss the specific of your situation with you to find the best possible solution if you’re out longer than six weeks.
How does confidentiality work?
When you tell someone in People Ops about a health or personal issue, that information will be shared within the People Ops group (this might include Carl, Jarrad, and Nabil). Please let People Ops know if you want any discussion to be kept off the record (i.e. only between you and the People Ops person you're talking with).
People Ops won’t tell other core contributors the specifics of your health issues, and will be happy to help you in communicating your sick leave if you need help doing that (mentioning only that you are out sick, giving no further details).