When to use this guide
From time to time, you might need to request additional funds to get work done.
As a general principle we ask teams to anticipate their spending as part of the monthly budgeting exercise (this is so that teams can be self-sufficient and make their own decisions about spending without having to check each individual expense with Finance).
This guide is about how to request funding when:
- The team budget has been exceeded and additional funds are required; or
- Unanticipated/new expenses arise; or
- Approval is needed on a time-sensitive basis, that can't wait for regular team budget reviews.
This applies to all mechanisms of receiving funding, including:
- Putting an expense on the company credit card (more info here)
- Getting crypto (SNT/ETH) paid out to your wallet.
- Putting a non-routine expense on your personal card and having it reimbursed via Expensify.
Example request email to Finance
Not sure what to mention when requesting funding? Here's a template email to use (delete non applicable info as needed):
To: Johannes, jason
CC: firstname.lastname@example.org, team lead
Subject: Funding request - [name of service/cost item]
- Payment mechanism - company credit card / crypto transfer / Expensify reimbursement
- Request type - cost increase / new expense
- Reason - [why we want to spend the money]
- Cost - $XX
- Cost type - monthly recurring / one-off / annual recurring
- Use case - [what the tool/service/funding will be used for]
- User contact - [name]
- Billing admin - [name]
- Contract terms - describe any key contracting terms to be aware of in the case of subscriptions [insert link to terms & conditions]
[Attach screenshot of pricing, or links to any other info that will help Finance review the request]